Mongol Home

Mongol Home

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Norse Magic-Users




OK, no screwing around here today with history lessons or long introductions, it's already late here and I have four PCs to create and stuff to do tomorrow so I can't waste any time.

Except to say the Old Norse word for Wizard is Vitki "Wise-Man", which is pretty cool and somewhat less cumbersome than Magic-User.

Magic-User 1-

Sokkolf

Str-10
Int-16+2=18
Wis-14-4=10
Dex-12
Con-13
Cha-14

Starting Coin- 140SP

Equipment-Helmet, Quarterstaff, Dagger, 95 Silver Pieces

Spell- Magic Missile
AC:9
HP:3+1=4
Alignment:Neutral

Brown Hair, 5'11" 155lbs, 22 Years Old.


OK, one bit of commentary here; I am not inclined to give the Magic-User Class any special leeway based on the campaign, being Magic-Users, they lead lives where they learn mainly esoteric stuff even in the Norse world. Combat training is not really a part of that esoterica, so I am not giving them shields or any bonus weapons (except staffs, which I think they should have already had, but don't in B/X). That said, there's no law against helmets, so I am thinking that most Magic-Users will probably avail themselves of them, given that they'll have the extra cash on hand.

Magic-User 2-

Grimhild

Str- 6
Int-13+4=17
Wis- 17-8=9
Dex- 11
Con- 17
Cha- 4

Starting Coin- 70SP

Equipment- Helmet, Quarterstaff, Dagger, 15 Silver Pieces
Spell- Charm Person
AC:9
HP:3+2=5
Alignment:Neutral

Brown Hair, 5'1", 90lbs, 20 years old.


Wow, with a Charisma score like that I guess she's lucky I rolled Charm Person for her Spell, eh? Grimhild is a pretty fitting name too.

Magic-User 3

Hakon

Str-8
Int-10+2=12
Wis-13-4=9
Dex-11
Con-9
Cha-15

Starting Coin- 50SP

Equipment- Helmet, Quarterstaff, 25 Silver Pieces

Spell- Magic Missile
AC:9
HP:4
Alignment:Chaotic

Red Hair, 6', 135lbs, 22 years old.

Isn't he a skinny, odd fellow.

Magic-User 4-

Asa

Str-11-2=9
Int-15+1=16+1=17
Wis-11-2=9
Dex-17
Con-12
Cha-4 (What are the odds that both of the female Magic-Users would be total hags?)

Starting Coin-130SP

Equipment- Helmet, Quarterstaff, Dagger, 85 Silver Pieces

Spell- Sleep
AC:7
HP:3
Alignment:Neutral

Blond Haired, 5'6", 130lbs, 21 years old.

OK, I do find it a little odd that, without tweaking the Alignment odds at all, I got no Lawful Magic-Users. Maybe the Gods of D&D randomness are trying to tell us that sorcery is an inherently unlawful profession? While I was rolling these Characters up I couldn't help but think maybe I should just port the Elf Class over as a Fighting Wizard type human Class, obviously they would not get all the cool benefits of Elfdom, but access to armor and weapons might make people inclined to play them anyway, even with the huge XP/level.  

2 comments:

  1. I do think Magic=Chaos is a good idea, especially for this setting.

    I like the idea of adding elf as a Fighting Wizard, but I think you should drop the Experience requirements some. Maybe 3200 -3500 for second level or something like that. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the more I think about it, the more I like it, both ideas really. Magic in the Norse tradition is about altering reality to suit your will, that seems pretty Chaotic to me, even if you have a "good" motivation for doing it.

      Lessening the XP requirements for the Elf class and making them Human Fighter/Magic-Users seems fair since they lose the resistance to Sleep/Charm* and Ghoul Paralysis, Infravision, the extra bonus languages and the secret door finding bonus. So it makes sense that the XP requirement to advance should be lowered.

      *I just checked and they don't get that in B/X anyway, AD&D assumption again. They also don't get the AD&D bonus with swords and bows, or the auto-detect ability to find secret doors.

      Delete