Mongol Home

Mongol Home

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Not for nothing...



...But when I showed this picture to my youngest daughter Ember, we both agreed that it kind of reminded us of her. It looks like her a bit and has her attitude. Lamentations of the Flame Princess has certainly been an interesting look at old school gaming, and it's had a pretty good effect on my blog, I get a lot of hits from Finland. But I think it's starting to seep into my daughter's brains, or maybe it's just that Raggi and I are a little too alike and they'd be what his daughters would be like?

Next Question- If you had to pick an old school Star Trek game to play, would you go with FASA's Star Trek RPG and it's associated Starship Tactical Combat Simulator or Task Force Games/Amarillo Design Bureau's Federation & Empire/Star Fleet Battles/Prime Directive? I know that Prime Directive made it on to the scene a little late, but I also know that the Tactical Combat Simulator was a later add-on. Both games suffer from having to make up a lot of new Star Trek material and extrapolate from what they had available at the time, SFB/PD is still in print, although PD has undergone numerous rules changes from d20 to GURPS to the upcoming Traveler,they are still restricted by their license to ONLY use elements of Star Trek from the original series, the animated series and what they snuck in from some of the original series cast movies; everything elsethey were forced to make up as they went along. FASA did the same thing, only with a better, but more restrictive license until they got smacked down for assuming that Star Trek: The Next Generation was covered by the same license. So which old school Star Trek game do you prefer and why?

I only ask because I already had this.


But this came in the mail today.


And so did this.







All of these miniatures came today too, a good many Celts, always good for my Garnia campaign; and some Norse and Normans, which should be handy in most other cases, as well as in Garnia.

2 comments:

  1. I used to absolutely love Star Fleet Battles but as I age (now over 40) I find that the rules are too complex for me. I lack the time and attention to really grok all of the subtle points in the system. It is a pity, as I have great memories of the system but reading such dense manuals is harder and harder as I age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That LOTFP picture is sooo Elmore in feel (and I don't mean that as a bad thing.) Regarding Star Trek - my friend Kevin and I started out with Starfleet Battles, then switched to the FASA tactical combat simulator as it seemed more anchored in "real" ST. It also had less crap in baggies to tote around and clean up.

    ReplyDelete