Mongol Home

Mongol Home

Monday, January 16, 2012

A Few More Things


I recently found out that this blog post of mine is one of the top five hits in a Google search for 5th edition D&D, so I think that makes me one of the OSR's top voices with regard to the development of D&D's new edition, right?


My first ever poll ended, and was kind of a dismal failure. Maybe I didn't hype it well enough. I was hoping that the larger sample size of people reading this blog would help gauge more accurately the popularity of earth cultures to represent in my Garnia campaign world, but fewer people actually answered the poll here than did on my Garnia development blog.


I am still not done with my reading and analysis of Moldvay's Basic rules. Yes, it is taking a lot longer than I thought it would, there have been some extenuating circumstances keeping me from devoting as much time as I would have liked to to the project and the project is just taking longer than I thought it would.


I also got these things in the mail recently and I am pretty sure I forgot to mention them or show the pictures.

Saga I had a copy of, but realized that it was incomplete, so I sought out another copy since I consider it to be one of TSR's better minigames. The pack animal miniatures were a semi-rare find on EBay, I paid more than I like to for old school miniatures for them, but for some reason pack animals are always hard to find and never cheap. I find the same thing to be true to a slightly lesser extent for torchbearers and other obvious hireling types.

4 comments:

  1. I like that pack animal set!! Good acquisition sir! I think the reason the pack animals are so sought after is they are actually useful across genres, I could even see people using those for historical wargaming (ancients, middle ages, hell some of them would work for civil war and/or old west stuff even). But moreso I guess no one really produced many of those types of figures, its all monsters and PCs eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, these make a good baggage train for any medievals, and once you take out the ones with shields they'll work for any time period up to early modern.

      Delete
  2. Great looking pack animals. What line are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camels and the 2 smaller equines are Ral Partha. The other 4 equines, which are all exactly the same, I can't identify yet. I had suspected Grenadier, but when I finally dug out my sole Grenadier pack animal it was smaller, like the Ral Parthas and it's base was more rounded. The markings on the bottom of them are indistinct, rather hard to read. Maybe they come from a historical line?

      Delete